Google Search

Google
 

Friday, October 7, 2011

Reflection: A Franciscan Retreat in Ireland with Direction for our Times Apostolate


 A blog post by  Sarah Spies, Fall 2011


Back by popular demand, I want to share a little bit more about my personal experience of the new connection between the Franciscan University Austria Program and Direction for Our Times Lay Apostolate. Before coming to Gaming this fall, I was able to go on the retreat with Anne, a lay apostle and the Direction for Our Times missionaries. What a blessing it was! Before going on the retreat I really had minimal knowledge about the apostolate and had only read Anne’s Volume Nine, but this retreat opened my eyes to the heart of their mission and it certainly was a pilgrimage filled with new lights and consolations from the Holy Spirit. We (the thirteen Franciscan students signed up for the retreat) were greeted and picked up from the airport in Dublin and driven by friends of Anne to Cavan county for the retreat, which was a blessing in itself since it was our first time travelling and even more importantly it was free! It’s important to mention this because the Lay Apostles gave us a place to stay, food to eat, and transportation for the duration of the retreat.

The first day, was filled with spiritual activities, but it didn’t even feel too busy because the leaders of the retreat were so in tune with each of our needs (especially our jet lag) and they were very flexible. From the beginning I saw how much the lay apostles simply desired to serve us and meet our needs on this retreat. We began with mass and afterwards proceeded to listen to an address from Anne. My first reaction was honestly surprise with just how normal she was. I didn’t initially know what to expect from this woman who receives daily locutions, but I was affirmed by her peace, honesty, and genuine desire to be the Lord’s servant. Her message to us was about the role of the laity in the Church, especially us as young adults. 
After her message we were able to ask her any questions about the apostolate, her messages, and her locutions. It was intriguing to hear how simple it was for her to accept her experiences merely as just another part of her daily prayer life. Later she prayed over each of the retreatants individually. My overall experience was that she and the other missionaries genuinely saw us as their brothers and sisters and simply wanted to empower us in our baptismal call as laity in the temporal order. It was such a peaceful experience. That night we made a Holy Hour in the quiet, small chapel in the back of one of the missionary’s homes. This was the chapel where Anne wrote Volume Two: Conversations with the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus.

The next day was so powerful; we began with a pilgrimage hike of Croagh Patrick. Some of the guys with us decided to hike it barefoot like the 80-year-old women. As for me, I suffered even with my shoes on! It was a grueling and steep hike to the top, and I had to stop a few times, but it was one of the most beautiful spiritual experiences in that I was able to learn a lot about perseverance in suffering. About an hour or so in I realized how much my thoughts were becoming increasingly negative. I wanted to complain, but I knew this would make it so much more of a challenge for all of us. I knew that it was necessary to give from my poverty of spirit and so I simply prayed “Come Holy Spirit” in order to tame my natural instincts. 

God is SO good and faithful, because after that prayer I was able to start to make so many parallels between this hike and my spiritual life. I recalled many things I had learned from St. Therese and St. Jose Maria Escriva which motivated me to continue making the steps up the mountain. I know that these lights came from the Holy Spirit because He is faithful to all who call and the consolations I was able to provide for the others around me were inspirations for me as well! We certainly bonded as a group through this climb. All I wanted was to make it to the top because Jesus was waiting for me there. Once we arrived at the summit we received our Source and Summit in the Eucharist at Mass in the small chapel on top of the mountain.
Despite the harsh weather conditions, we spotted a rainbow over Clue Bay after mass. The view was absolutely spectacular! Even though I was soaked to the bone I was overwhelmed with joy because I realized that though the mountains, plains, and islands in the bay were so beautiful and a testament of God’s power, I was convicted of how much more glorious each of us were upon receiving Christ in the Eucharist. Of course there is much more I could say about the lights we all received from this hike, but I must tell you it’s something you certainly don’t want to miss, the view alone is the best I saw in all of Ireland. We finished our retreat with a visit to the Shrine of Our Lady of Knock... AWESOME... and then ate dinner at Bed and Breakfast for pilgrims run by the Daughters of Charity. Overall, this retreat was an incredible opportunity for me spiritually and it’s something I definitely recommend for those planning on really experiencing Ireland before future Austria semesters. 

No comments: