Google Search

Google
 

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Initial Impressions

A blog post by Chelsea Graham, Fall 2011


Hey everyone!

I am just starting my semester here in Gaming, and it’salready been incredible. I’ve heard so many fantastic things from past students about their experiences here in Gaming, but I did not really know what to expect for myself. Everyone I talked to had good things to say about their time here, but they were all different.  I’m still not sure what the next 3 months have in store for me, but I am wicked (yes I’m from the Boston area!) excited to see what the Lord has planned.

Franciscan University offers its students so much spiritually on main campus in Ohio, but in my opinion, it pales in comparison to what is offered here in Austria, and the rest of Europe. This is my first time in Europe, and to me, it feels like a completely whole new world. I can’t compare the town of Gaming to anything I’ve heard of or seen in the United States. It is a quaint, small town, where everything still closes at 6:30 p.m. or earlier, the public schools start off the school year celebrating a religious service, and everything is closed Sundays. In addition, we are surrounded by incredible scenery, in which my only response thus far has been amazement. We have the opportunity to go creek jumping, climb mountains, bike everywhere, and so many other things that just let us appreciate what the Lord has given to us.

Additionally, the classes offered here are incredible. While talking to a friend here with me, we came to the decision that the university did not just choose random classes to offer here, but must have really put a lot of thought into them. Each theology and philosophy class is offered at the Gaming campus for a reason, to help the students grow and find out who they really are.

Being away from the home is hard, and it makes me appreciate what I had when I was there, but I personally believe that in order to really know who you are as a person, you have to take away everything that “defines”you and see what is left. Who are you? What makes you, you?

I can’t answer those questions now, but I am wicked excited to continue my journey here to find the answers.

No comments: