Google Search

Google
 

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Hills Are Alive…

A blog post by Leanna Praetzel, Fall 2011


The time I laughed the most during a movie?  Thursday, September 15th, 2011, 8:00pm.  The movie itself?  Sound of Music.  It seems silly for that movie to be a knee-slapper, but hey, when you’re in a roomful of Salzburg-bound buddies, the overall mood is anything but dim.
A gift from the beloved Easter Bunny years ago, the Sound of Music VHS at my house has been greatly cherished.  So, to have the fountains, statues, gardens, and more from the movie sitting before my very eyes was stupendous!  On Saturday we went on a tour through the quaint city, seeing many of these landmarks along with fun little shops and gorgeous churches.
During free time, I journeyed with my friends to a hilltop abbey where scenes from Sound of Music were filmed.  However, we didn’t appreciate the abbey simply for its fame.  We also were able to enjoy a spectacular view along with the beautiful voices of nuns singing in the choir loft of the chapel.  Leaving was an adventure in itself; I walked through a doorway expecting the abbey gift shop only to find myself in a cute little cloistered nun’s kitchen.  “Nein, nein!” she said with a smile as she affectionately shooed five ignorant Americans out her door.
In the evening some of us attended a concert in a building at “Mirabell Gardens” (think “Do Re Mi”!) where a group of musicians played masterpieces composed by none other than Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a Salzburg native.  Music-lovers of many backgrounds attended; we sat next to a lovely lady from Russia.  The diversity of the people there helped me to see music as an entire language of its own—I might not understand the words of the German sitting in front of me and vice versa, but we both can, without any difficulty, comprehend the extraordinary harmonies singing from a talented Austrian man’s violin.
Sunday morning found me posing next to the Sound of Music gazebo and eating a rose-flavored dessert (petal and all!) at an old café.  After leaving Salzburg, the buses hauled us all to a pretty little town called “Mondsee”.  There, I was fortunate enough to attend Mass at the Basilica in which the Sound of Music wedding took place, swim in the lake where some breath-taking scenery was shot, and pick “souvenir” grass to stash in my backpack for my silly friends back home.  (Love you guys!)
Overall the weekend was a hit.  So much so, that on our way to visit some castles in Germany next weekend, my friends and I are actually going to stop in Salzburg again!  (We hope to see a miraculous statue of the infant Jesus, and attend a “Mozart Mass”.)  But I shouldn’t get ahead of myself… before that, it’s Poland or bust!

No comments: