Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Advent Market & Semester End

A blog post by student Chelsea Graham, Fall 2011


Oh the happenings of this week! From “Adventmarkts” and Krampus, baptisms, and finals—I couldn’t think of a better way to spend the second to last week in Austria…except maybe minus the finals.

All throughout Europe, during the season of Advent, communities come together and have Advent markets, or in German “Adventmarkts.” There was one here at the Kartause for the past week, and although I miss the quiet, peaceful Kartause, I have enjoyed the market. It’s almost like a craft fair back in the states, but all Christmassy…. And with the Adventmarkt come some of Austria’s traditions…Like the Krampus or Perchten. Unlike in the States, Santa, or St. Nicholas, does not bring coal for the kids on the “Naughty List,” instead the Krampus come and whip the naughty boys and girl.
I had been warned of this Austrian tradition by some of the Kartause kids, but I guess I thought they were over exaggerating…Well they weren’t. The Krampus are terrifying!! And I’m sure I’m overreacting, but seriously. When someone comes up to you in a huge hairy costume with bells and a whip and they stare you down, and you keep backing up, and they continue to walk closer…it’s scary! Not at all what I expected…Especially when they came out with eerie red fog and lit fires! And there were several of them—There was no way of escaping them! But it was fun at the same time…if that makes any sense! It was really neat to experience an authentic Austrian Christmas tradition.

Also this week, during the Vigil mass for the Feast day of the Immaculate Conception, one of the LCI students was baptized, confirmed, and received Communion for the first time. It was one of the most exciting times of the semester. I have known Ksenia, and as the weeks drew closer the excitement grew all around the Kartause. And at mass on Wednesday, the whole Kartause community was there in support of her, and it was an incredibly beautiful experience to witness. Seeing someone make the decision to come into the Church all on her own, and seeing her excitement was such a blessing, and made this semester that much more incredible.

And also with the end of the semester comes finals. I’ve finished one, so only four left to go! But to be perfectly honest, the tests really aren’t too bad. I’m not saying I enjoy them, but this semester’s classes have been incredible. Taking theology and philosophy classes were the perfect way to compliment this semester, and going over everything we’ve learned kind of ends the semester perfectly…So I wouldn’t say finals are all that bad!

Spending my last week at the Kartause will be hard. I’m full of excitement to go home, but at the same time I want time to go by really slow so I can enjoy Gaming as much as possible, before I have to say goodbye…And I know that won’t be easy. Nothing will be able to replace my time here in Gaming, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything, and having it come to an end is not easy by any means. But we have to have peace with where we are, right? So for the next week, I’m going to soak everything inas much as possible and go from there!

1 comment:

dsewing02 said...

I wish we could have seen a market during the spring semester as they do in the fall. If only there was a lenten market or even an Easter market. I would have loved to have seen it during spring 2011.