Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Taking the Plunge: Lourdes (Part 1)

A blog post by Leanna Praetzel, Fall 2011

I wasn’t going to Lourdes.  And then I changed my mind.


The clock was winding down, and only a few hours remained before the application packet was due.  I still needed money, information, and paperwork, plus I had to hunt down the person in charge.  In the blink of an eye, it was taken care of, and I was stepping off the overnight train and into the country of France.  Just like that.

Day 1:  Upon arriving in Paris, a friend and I thought it would be fun to walk around the streets sticking our noses up in the air to “blend in” with the arrogant French stereotype… Turns out we were the only ones.  But at least we kept ourselves occupied while some people in my group tried to figure things out; supposedly the trains were booked, and it was impossible for us to get to Lourdes.  But I knew that if God wanted us to get to Lourdes, we’d find a way.

And we did!  We ended up having to get a few different types of tickets (splitting our group up a bit), but at least we were all going to end up in the same place!  My ticket was for a train leaving that evening… which meant, for the remainder of the day, Paris was calling!  I stayed with a buddy and together we climbed the Eiffel Tower!  We tackled those stairs, even with all of our luggage for the 10-day break.  I decided it would be very fitting to sing that song from Mulan (“Let’s get down to business…!”) to keep me motivated as well as keep things interesting.  It worked!  With a lively step and a lack of breath, we reached the “second floor” (about halfway up… but still very high)!  The view was beautiful, although, alas, we have no picture proof (both my camera and my iPod died, boo-hoo)!

Day 2:  Another overnight train later and I was in Lourdes!  Many adventures took place including a delicious visit to the local pastry shop, and a lady kicking me out of McDonald’s for no apparent reason (I never knew what I did wrong because I don’t know a lick of French)!  Our leaders hadn’t arrived in town yet, so I didn’t discover the heart of Lourdes until…

Day 3:  International Mass in a giant underground Basilica?  What?  I thought there would be a couple helpers and some pilgrims at Lourdes!  What a surprise it was when a gargantuan Church hidden beneath our shoes was packed with people from all over the world, armed and ready for Mass!  I got to go on the altar with other Frannies to lead the crowd in the “Our Father”.   It was amazing!

Later on in the day, we got assigned our stations for the week.  I was told that I would be serving in the baths—the miraculous waters (from the same spring Bernadette dug years ago) that people come from all over the world to wash in!  I went from being a study-abroad student to being a privileged servant in Catholic Disneyland.  God picked me up from Gaming, set me down Lourdes, and plunged me right in.

Day 4:  Monday morning we went on a tour of different places St. Bernadette lived.  It was quite fantastic; I felt like I was walking in her shoes!  Then, I, along with nine other Franciscan girls, proceeded to the “Piscines” (the Baths) wearing our nurse-like outfits.  After praying the rosary with the other women serving that day, we first-timers were split up into different baths where we would remain for the entire shift.  Then, at 2:00pm, the curtain was opened and women of all different nationalities poured in.

The very first woman I helped left me in tears (although she probably didn’t know it).  The love in her face, the determination in her eyes…  All I could think about was the magnitude of her faith.  This woman had traveled the distance and gone through only Lord knows what to reach that moment in time.  And now she was there, humbly praying before Jesus and his Mother, while stepping into the icy water.  She was seemingly unaware of its bitter coldness, and even of the fact that I was still in the room.  For the rest of my shift, and for each and every woman present, I was struck by the faith that shone before me, a faith that was visible in the form of actual human beings.  My first day serving in the baths and I was already full to the brim! 

That evening, my voice echoed throughout all of Lourdes as I was honored to introduce the First Luminous Mystery at the “Torchlight Procession.”  What a wonderful gift, and to see from a stage hundreds of candle flames poking through the night’s falling darkness!  I felt like the entire world was in front of me, and I knew that there was no place on Earth I would have rather been.

To be continued…

No comments: