Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Salzburg, Munich, & Dachau Inspire

This weekend the majority of us here at the Kartause traveled to Salzburg and Munich, where we saw the famous hills so adoringly described in The Sound of Music. We also had a chance to experience the heart of German culture and Catholic tradition by traveling throughout Munich’s churches and landmarks. The first night in Salzburg was very peaceful. A group of my friends and I trekked up the hill where Salzburg Castle (or Festung Hohensalzburg) is situated. After much climbing through the outer boundaries of the castle, we encountered a breathtaking sunset on top of a cliff that gave us a vast view of Salzburg. It was such a blessing to be able to view a glimpse of the glory of God through the sky and the landscape.

After our first night in Salzburg, we woke up early to ride the bus to Munich, where we celebrated Mass in the same church that our German Shepherd, Pope Benedict XVI, used to celebrate Mass as Archbishop of Munich--Munich Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Dear Lady). After Mass, we were given a small tour of some of the famous Catholic sites in Munich; it was so fascinating to walk in the footsteps of our pope and to pray where he prayed. I don’t think it hit many of us that we were actually walking through the same streets where he would walk when he was living there. It was definitely a moving experience, to say the least.

Munich is only 10 kilometers (about 6 miles) away from one of the most famous (or infamous) sites in the history of World War II--Dachau concentration camp. I was able to travel there with some of my friends, and when we arrived, I couldn’t believe how tangibly I could feel the history of that place. First of all, the grounds were so immense and so empty that I could only imagine just how many people under persecution walked those same rocky roads I did, over 75 years earlier. As I put one foot in front of the other, I tried to place myself in the shoes of a prisoner in the camp during the time of the Holocaust. Of course, I couldn’t picture the immense darkness they must have faced. Yet, as we were walking in between the buildings, we saw the sunset shine through the gates--a sign of hope; a light in the darkness. The sunset made me think of the hope of Christ’s resurrection, through which he conquered all death and darkness.


I don’t have even a slight idea of what the Holocaust victims suffered. Just being where some of them were for so long and under such torment was enough to open my eyes to the little things I often take for granted--a comfortable bed, a hot meal, a family to come home to. I was also reminded that we have a duty as human beings to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. We are called to respect each and every person--no matter how young or old; what race, age, or gender--out of the dignity given to them by the almighty, faithful, and loving God.

Moreover, to me, the sunset at Dachau was a reminder of the Resurrection of Christ. There was darkness, yes, but the hope that shone in the midst of it was more than enough to conquer this darkness.

These lessons are some of the most important things I learned this weekend in Salzburg and Munich. Needless to say, it far exceeded my expectations of what I thought I would be doing in Munich--that is, sightseeing, shopping and maybe some beer tasting. Rather than doing these things, God led me to a piece of history through which he inspired me to never take his blessings for granted. And for this, I am eternally grateful.

No comments: