Google Search

Google
 

Monday, July 12, 2010

What I learned in Austria?


Emily Ortiz spent both semesters last year in Gaming. The first as a student; the second as an RD and one of the original members of the first international business class.

She recently sent me one of her reflections about what she learned in Gaming. She was happy to share this with the blog:

Assisi was my absolute favorite place and so I felt that it was very appropriate that I take time to recollect my European experience there. Fr. Ron had always pressed upon us to take account of what we had learned and this was the first time I had really sat down and done that. Before, I had had the mentality of wanting to be completely present to the theme of the moment so as not to take even one second there for granted. But at the hermitage I felt really compelled to put into words what I had experienced so far. I had promised you I would send it and I'm sorry it took me until half-way through the summer but here it is:

What have a I learned? How to live! I have drunk deep of the goods of life, yet I have gained a heavenly perspective like never before. I have seen the beauty of different places, I have studied the beauty in art and I have experienced richly the beauty of the human person. Most importantly, I have met the Beauty - and have found it in myself as well. I have stretched out my hands and lowered my nets and have brought up an overabundance of blessings - to the point of almost tearing my nets. I have seen the love of friendship, of sisterhood, of good brothers, of religious life and of family. I have encountered God in churches and Basilicas, in people, in nature, in the poor and desolate, in those that build me up and inspire me, in the Eucharist. I have cried of sadness and cried of joy. I have experienced the pang of rejection and the surprising delight of being loved by the most unexpected people. I have found that at the core, people are just like me and that we are created good! I have looked into the eyes of humanity and seen fear and suffering and joy and love - I have seen Christ. I have been pushed and stretched but never without the assurance of a purpose. I have delighted in hope and learned to place my hope in the Lord! (March 5, 2010)

No comments: