Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Parable of the Beach: Ora et Labora

Ah yes, our summer vacation in America is quickly coming to a close. But, as it says in Ecclesiastes, there is a time and season for everything. No Complaints!

Last night as the sun passed its apogee in the blue vault of heaven and was making its descent back into the earth, my wife and I were preparing dinner. The kitchen became unbearably warm. Rather than wallow miserably in the muggy weather, we headed over to Bush Lake, only about a 20 minute walk from the in-laws home here in Bloomington, Minnesota.

I ran ahead and swam first and then watched our youngest son Dominic play in the sand as my wife Niki took her turn swimming in the lake.

As I sat refreshed from my swim, watching Dominic and beholding the setting sun, my soul drifted off to contemplate the Lord in all of this outdoor splendor. The following insight struck me as I sat there on the sand, an insight that I believe would benefit many of the Study Abroad students during their study abroad semester in Gaming.

Here it is:

The setting sun was an image for me of our Lord Jesus, especially our Lord in the most holy and blessed sacrament of the Eucharist. Just sitting there on the beach, the sun affected me: it lifted my spirits; it tanned my skin; it filled me joy. Similarly, sitting in front of our Lord, receptively in prayer and adoration allows Jesus to lift our spirits, to "tan" our soul with his image and likeness, and to fill us with joy and comfort.

The house was an image for me of the world. Often we need to leave our spot sitting under the sun to go into the home or to work in the world. We needed to "cook dinner" or do some other worldly chore. Swimming too had an allegorical meaning: the significance of leisure, play, sport, and conversation. As we were wearied by our hot kitchen we needed to refresh ourselves not only with the sun but also by swimming in the water. Out there in the lake, we would switch strokes, play in the water, and exercise to our heart's content. So, we find our selves back full circle to Ecclesiastes: there is a time and season for everything.

There is a time for work -- in a hot kitchen

There is a time for leisure, play, and fun -- as in the lake

And ...

There is a time for prayer and adoration -- like sitting in the sun.

All three are so important for a full and happy life, especially for the study abroad student who has so many things to do and accomplish and can easily become out of balance to his detriment. One must build work (homework), leisure with friends and travel (play), and also prayer and adoration into one's day. The Benedictines got it right: Ora et Labora, good old work and prayer, you need them both.

If you ever find yourself exhausted or your rhythm out of sync, perhaps its time for a visit to the beach. For two thousand years ago, God told his parables about fields, pearls, wineskins, and baking bread. Two thousand years later, he can speak to us through sun, water, sand, and even a hot kitchen!

No comments: